Question: What costs nothing, yet improves customer relationships?
Answer: Tiny Noticeable Things (TNTs)
What are TNTs I hear you say? They are those small, but really important things that completely change someone’s perception of you or your company and define why they will – or won’t – come back to you again.
Tiny Noticeable Things
Adrian Webster has some wise words on this subject. I’ve been lucky enough to meet this brilliant man twice now and had the chance to hear him speak earlier this year about how these ‘Tiny Noticeable Things’ (TNTs) can prove a secret weapon in the world of business.
As Adrian explained: “TNTs create the biggest, longest lasting pictures. They are the difference between four and five star customer service. They’re what people see, they show you care, and the wonderful thing is, they cost nothing!”
Think for a moment about how TNTs could help you build better relationships with your customers – and for minimal cost. I’ve touched on this in previous blogs, but it really is the small things that are the emotional engagers that can help set you apart from your competition.
Top tips for building better customer relationships
Here’s an initial list I came up with of things that will help keep your customers coming back:
- Find opportunities to thank your customers – you’d be surprised how many people don’t actually do this
- Make business fun for your customers at every opportunity so you really stand out from the crowd
- Respond to their queries and questions immediately – even if you simply let them know you’re looking into it
- Ask them what they want and LISTEN to their response!
- Make sure you are true specialists in your core areas of business – this will help you stand apart from the ‘big’ boys
- Know your customers: from their business issues and concerns, to their personal stories… even their birthdays!
- Call your customers occasionally without trying to make a sale and share something of value with them
- Update your customers proactively with relevant market information – prove your knowledge and value to them
These TNTs make a difference to a customer’s perception of your business. They will generate long-lasting loyalty and will inspire people to recommend you to others, helping you to grow through positive word of mouth. Above all, you get the personal satisfaction of delivering a service that goes above and beyond expectation – to the delight of your customers. As Adrian says, there is nothing better than seeing a customer’s face light up when a TNT goes bang!
If you have not yet had the pleasure of meeting Adrian, I strongly recommend you read more about his approach in his book ‘Polar Bear Pirates’ for some thought provoking ideas on how you approach your daily business. And please share any ideas or personal experiences – I’d love to hear your stories!
Subscribe to the Channel Partner Connection and receive email updates when we publish a new article.
Was fortunate enough to see Adrian live, earlier this year – and his messaging about TNT’s still resonates ! so true.
Comments are closed.