Most SMBs (small and medium size businesses) don’t give their printers much thought until a problem brings them top-of-mind. Many are working with outdated devices that doesn’t meet their needs and leaving opportunities to cut costs and boost productivity on the table.
Unfortunately, because the mindset is often, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, it can take some re-framing to show them why a device that prints on demand really is broken, and what it should be replaced with instead.
Here are 8 questions that can help customers realize when it’s time to replace their printer fleet, and why they should trust a knowledgeable channel partner to help them make the switch.
- Do they know their total print cost – and are they spending more than they should be? Most customers don’t realize that there are simple ways to cut their printing costs that don’t require them to do less printing, starting with your total number and age of your printers. Even if their organization is small, they may still find that they have multiple older printers that don’t meet their needs. Replacing older personal desktop units with newer more advanced workgroup alternatives can significantly reduce their printing costs and help them make the most of limited space. Perhaps even more importantly, many older devices won’t allow them to enable a print management system – or to turn that responsibility over to a channel partner. The Xerox Versalink family of business printers, are designed for small and medium size work groups and come equipped with tools that allow tracking of printer usage, which, among other things, can help cut costs by ensuring that documents aren’t printed unnecessarily or left sitting in the printer tray (a waste and a security risk).
- Does it have the latest security features built-in?
A 2017 report from smallbiz.com showed that 43% of cyber attacks target small businesses. One of the most surprising vulnerabilities? The office printer. If the printers your customers rely on don’t have these security features built-in, it may be time for them to consider a new one.
- Authentication. This option ensures that the printer will only release documents when users enter their PIN at the machine. No more potentially sensitive documents lying unsecured at the device.
- Print encryption. Sensitive data that is sent to the printer without encryption leaves businesses vulnerable to hackers. File encryption protects your data as it moves, ensuring it is safe from creation to the destination.
- Password protected scanning. By allowing unrestricted scanning, users are potentially making sensitive information available to the wrong parties. A smart MFP gives them the choice to password protect their PDFs so that only the right people can access the data they contain.
- Can it improve their workflows or boost their productivity?
The right device should have the capability to help businesses streamline their document workflows and improve productivity. The newest ConnectKey® enabled MFPs from Xerox use app technology to help customers boost productivity by making everyday tasks simpler and faster – positioning you as the vendor-turned-consultant they need to improve the way they work.
- Is it mobile and cloud ready?
Mobile and cloud ready printers are not business as usual for most businesses – not yet. Too few customers realize their importance. For a productive, efficient office, workgroups needs to be able to connect and print from any device, anywhere, and at any time. The latest mobile print solutions make printing from any mobile device to any brand of printer efficient and seamless. The right multifunction printer should also let workgroups scan to and print from cloud services like Microsoft Office 365, Dropbox, and Google Drive. Setting up workflows to the services customers already use shortcuts the need to download and print from the desktop.
- Does it translate?
While this may not be a concern for every business, the need to translate documents can be a major concern – and an even bigger expense – for many. If your customer is among them, consider upgrading them to an MFP that can provide quick, easy and secure translations of as many as 38 languages at any time and place. Xerox® Easy Translator Service utilizes state-of-the-art OCR technology that lets you submit data in non-editable formats with the formatting of their original documents intact.
- Has it grown with their business?
Growth is the watchword for nearly every SMB. If your customers are among them, they’ll want an MFP that can grow with them. Introduce them to features such as remote scanning using their smart devices, scan to email to share content with just a few clicks, and powerful mobile tools like Wi-Fi Direct Certified to enable their team, clients or visitors to print from their smart devices without a network connection. Onboard administration tools like those found on multifunction printers built on ConnectKey® Technology also help businesses address potential issues, enabling them to stay more productive, longer. Additional features that target security and sustainability also go a long way toward future proofing their investment (always a good selling point in the small business market). Automatic software updates and integrated mobility solutions ensure the MFP will not only move with them into the future but also keep up with their employees in the field.
- How many calls are they making to Service or IT?
On average, 40-60% of helpdesk calls are print related. Giving customers more time in the day isn’t an easy thing to pull off but selling them a printer that has help tools built in is one way to get the job done. Many Xerox devices have videos tutorials, and searchable help, right on the front panel. When IT intervention is needed, Xerox ConnectKey MFPs let them remotely login to the front panel of the device, and make changes, without leaving your seat. For a good many clients, this will be reassuring, but still be more work than they want to take on. Take the conversation a step further by explaining the benefits of a managed document service contract, and how your help can mean they never have to consider print safety, cost, or efficiency ever again.
The new Versalink and Altalink devices from Xerox can help you resolve multiple customers challenges in one simple sale, and open the door to a managed print contract that can provide long recurring revenue. These questions can help you start a conversation that can drive growth and satisfaction for you both.
Learn more about Xerox Partner Print Services
Become a Xerox Channel Partner
Contact your Xerox account manager, or review the Xerox Global Partner Program and apply to become a Xerox channel partner today, to find out how we will help grow your business.
Join our Xerox Partners LinkedIn Community
Looking for more marketing tips and insights from Xerox Channel partners from across the globe? Join our private Xerox Channel Partners LinkedIn Group to connect and discuss topics like these with your peers.